How much do Computer Engineers make in different fields
How much do computer engineers make? Computer Engineers can earn in the two main domains of computer engineering; mainly software engineering and hardware engineering. Computer engineers basically design computers and software programs to make them function in computers. On one hand Computer Hardware engineers construct and develop the physical machine that is capable of storing information and running programs. On the other hand Software engineers (also called software developers) design the programs itself that will function in computer. So how much do computer engineers make?
Bureau of Labor Statistics enlighten us with how much do Computer Engineers make. Following are the estimated statistics:
- Computer hardware engineers earned an average of $49.99 an hour in 2012,
- Computer hardware engineers earned an average salary of $103,980 per year,
- Hardware engineers employed by software publishers earned more than those in any other industry, an average of $55.73 per hour,
- Average hourly pay by state ranged from a low of $36 in Oklahoma to a high of $55.95 in Michigan.
How much do Computer Engineers make?-System Software Engineers:
Systems software engineers design the operating systems, interface systems and data requirements that allow computers to properly function. BLS tells us how much do computer engineers make. The report is for systems software engineers in 2012:
- System software engineers brought home an average hourly wage of $49.30,
- System software engineers make an average annual salary of $102,550,
- Half of all systems software engineers working in the United States earned between $37.95 and $59.40 per hour, with the highest-paid 10 percent earning $71.56 or more per hour,
- Geographically, average hourly earnings ranged from a low of $31.57 in North Dakota to a high of $55.50 in California.
How much do Computer Engineers make? – Software applications developers:
Applications developers are software engineers who design games, apps and other programs. In accordance with the BLS report (2012), they tended to earn slightly less than hardware and systems software engineers:
- Software application developers earn an average of $44.85 an hour and $93,280 a year,
- The highest average pay by industry was reported by securities and exchange brokerages, which paid software applications developers, an average of $51.59 an hour,
- North Dakota reported the lowest average wage by state for this occupation, which is $31.87 an hour, while California reported the highest, which is $50.54.
Expected Job growth and pay
- The BLS predicts growth of job for computer hardware engineers to be slow comparatively, just 9 percent compared to an average expected growth rate of 14 percent for the American economy between 2010 and 2020,
- Most job growth in computer hardware engineering is expected in computer consulting firms,
- By contrast, jobs for software applications engineers are expected to grow at a rate of 28 percent,
- Systems software engineers are predicted to enjoy an even higher growth rate, of 32 percent. Demand factors predict the growth of a particular engineering field. As demands for new games and operating systems in phones, computers and video game systems are increasing so is the pay for systems software engineers.