Computer software engineer Skills
Primarily, a computer software engineer develops and modifies computer software applications and utility programs. A software engineer will also analyze end user needs with the aim of providing the best software solutions. Independent software engineers design and customize softwares for the needs of their clients. Most software engineers who work for private companies usually design databases that can optimize the operational efficiencies of the organizations they find themselves; they coordinate the database developments and also work as part of software development teams.
Duties of a computer software engineer
One of the main functions of a computer software engineer is to confer with programmers, computer system analysts and engineers with the aim of obtaining information on project needs, specifications, requirements, limitations and performance requirements. Other duties performed by a software engineer include;
- Modify existing software with the aim of upgrading, correct errors; boost its performance or adaptability with new and old hardware and softwares.
- Analyze the needs of users and analyze feasibility studies before providing the costs and design time frame.
- coordinate all system software installations and upgrades.
- Design and modify software systems through mathematical models that can predict the outcome and future performances of softwares.
- Analyze and recommend all necessary system layouts and modifications.
- Train users how to make use of newly installed softwares.
- Specify software requirements, and many more.
Skills required becoming a computer software engineer
Just like any other computer profession, a computer software engineer is expected to possess several skills that can make him perform his duties optimally, these include;
- Programming skills are essential; therefore a computer software engineer must be able to write programs for various purposes, including various devices.
- Logical reasoning skills are needed for effective approaches to complex software and hardware compatibility problems.
- Software troubleshooting skills are needed to detect software errors and initiate solutions.
- Operational and system analysis skills are needed by a computer software engineer to detect product requirements in order to create a design. He also needs to detect how operation needs will affect the performance of new software.
- Quality control analysis and systems evaluation skills are needed to perform tests and inspections on new software in order to evaluate system performances.
- Mathematical and statistical skills are needed to resolve complex mathematical software problems.
Computer software engineer salary
The United states labour department put the annual average salary of a computer software engineer at $92,660 as at the year 2013 while the average top 10 percentile earned $143,540 averagely per annum in the year 2014. With this, the average salary of a computer engineer salary is more than 100% higher than the annual average salaries other professions. In 2014, the lowest paid software engineer in the United States of America earned about $55, 770.
Typical working environment of a computer software engineer
Unlike computer hardware engineers, a computer software engineer does not have to work in workshops, he works in a comfortable office but the nature of his job demands that he collaborates with other computer experts such as technicians and hardware manufacturers; therefore he spends some of his time at computer research workshops. The best cities to work as a computer software engineer in the United states of America include; San Jose, San Francisco, Panama city, Iowa, and the state of Florida. United States labour department also projected that there is an annual job growth rate of 21% for software engineers.